Though the journey to implement your new year’s resolution to be fit is not easy,
the rewards of staying active are super motivating.
The #ActiveDNA challenge is a gratifying exercise that will help you make fitness a part of your lifestyle.
Though, that is a gift on its own, sharing photos and videos of your journey via Instagram, with friends and other participants will afford you the opportunity to motivate yourself and others, in addition to a chance to claim the grand prize–a pair of sneakers by Asics Onitsuka Tiger.
Today, I am sharing what has helped me get started with DNA Footwear‘s #ActiveDNA Challenge.
I do so in hopes that it will help you realize your new year’s resolution to stay active and win a fun pair of Asics Onitsuka Tiger sneakers that are sure to keep up with your fitness journey beyond this month, through the rest of the year. Let’s get started!
1. Embrace your self as you are.
It is important that you peacefully align yourself with who you are at this moment, accepting yourself fully. Allow yourself to feel excitement and anticipation about the changes you will make to transform into the version of you that you aspire to work hard to be.
2. Determine the intention for your changes.
Setting an intention helps you keep your eyes on the prize. If your burning desire is to become more limber and improve your flexibility, that will be the motivating force to rise from the comfort of your bed so that you make time to stretch for 15 minutes before starting your day.
3. Remember, you have as many hours in a day as Beyonce–staying active is as easy as going about your day.
We don’t have time; we make time for the things most important to each of us. Evaluate your priorities and how they currently line up with your new year’s resolution to stay active and lead a healthy lifestyle. Are you doing small things, every day, that support the realization of your fitness goals? For example, did you know that stepping out of the elevator and taking the stairs will decrease your risk of heart disease by 62%? Let’s get to steppin’!
Other easy activities that help you stay active include, skipping the subway and walking more; stretching with your pets; doing a few sets of jumping jacks, crunches and push ups while watching your favorite shows–believe it or not, watching TV this way burns calories at a rate of 72+ calories/hour depending on how intensely you go about your sets.
The following every day activities help you burn some extra calories:
- 30 minutes of polishing your tables and knickknacks waxes off 80 calories;
- 30 minutes of ironing your clothes will smooth out 36 calories;
- give your apartment a new paint job, and 3 hours later you’ve got yourself a great looking place and 1026 homeless calories;
- tend to drop off your laundry every week? give your cleaners a break, this week, and fold your own laundry to rack up a negative 72 calories for every half hour your spend folding;
- volunteer 4 hours of down time to clean up around your neighborhood and trash 1800 calories;
- mop your floors for 30 minutes and ring out 153 calories;
- play poker (or any card game)—3 hours in, we can’t guarantee you’ll win cash money, but you will surely lose 351 calories;
- shovel snow for 30 minutes and melt 202.5 calories;
- vacuum your rugs for 20 minutes and you’ve sucked 28 calories out of your system;
- catch some Zzz’s–8 hours of sleep will permanently put 360 calories to bed.
- fun fact: rumor has it that 30 minutes of locking lips for a steamy make out session melts more than your heart; swap 36 calories for a french kiss (;
Now, that you’re buzzing around, going about your day in the spirit of good health, ask yourself: are you making the time to let your inner beauty shine on the outside while you do all of that?
4. Make looking good a part of your routine.
It’s no surprise that looking good makes you feel good, and I guarantee you will have that much more energy and confidence when taking on the challenge to stay active, when you make time for beauty and self care. Maybe that means eating more fruits and veggies, or going to bed an hour earlier. That might even include, dressing up in ways that makes your feel good about yourself.
Quite possibly the most helpful thing I have done so far besides eating better and going to bed earlier, is picking up a swag pair of sneakers that I can’t wait to wake up and put on every morning.
For me, the Unisex Mexico 66 sneakers in Silver Blue by Asics Onitsuka Tiger, are doing the trick.
What do you think of my morning workout ensemble for day 2 of the #ActiveDNA challenge?
As mentioned in our previous post, by participating regularly throughout the month of January, you are instantly eligible to be rewarded for your commitment to staying active with a pair of Stance socks. Remember to tag us @dnafootwear on your Instagram posts with #ActiveDNA.
Be happy, be healthy & stay active!